Friday, October 8, 2010

divine-centered leadership

While there thousands of books written, speakers who discuss, and programs that teach leadership techniques, there is always room for debate. None of them can guarantee you which choice is right and if the results will be what they need to. Knowing that, I would no doubt say that this week's lesson on divine-centered leadership is the most important concept that will be discussed throughout this class. No matter how much a leader from the past or a personality test can tell us about ourselves and how we can best lead in the future, our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ can tell us infinitely more. They know when the future will defy the past and what we know as fact will become unreliable and the only way that we can learn that is through them. 

When Dean Westerberg spoke to us, she first asked us to write down our own definition for divine-centered leadership and this is what I wrote: to be a faithful follower of Christ and His teachings and as a disciple become a tool for Him to use in all areas of one's life. It seems like I must have missed some things even though I feel like I packed so much into that sentence.I loved that Dean Westerberg defined divine-centered leaders by their actions because that is what determines a person's character. She said that a divine-centered leaders are often in the right place at the right time (because they're listening to the Spirit), always see the potential in others (because so does their Heavenly Father), are prayerful (because they know that the Lord knows better about what to do than them), are not competitive (because that is not their goal), love (with the pure love of Christ), are obedient (because they trust in the Lord's commandments), do things for their followers that they cannot do for themselves (because they are willing to sacrifice since Jesus Christ sacrificed for them), and are good delegators (because they recognize that others need opportunities to grow just as they do). 

What is really great about divine-centered leadership is that it applies to every aspect of life. You don't just center your church calling upon Christ and his teachings, but your whole life which can be at church, home, school, work, community, with people you do like, and those you don't. I think this is perfect for me in my goal of seeking to be; seeking to be a leader in my life and all of its parts and that all begins with seeking to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ and centering my life upon Him and His teachings. This is going to mean that I gradually and naturally look to the Savior, accept the role of teacher and servant, search the scriptures, pray for guidance and listen, help others to promote self-governance, hold individuals accountable, express adequate appreciation, set a personal example, and listen to the living prophets. With this eternal perspective, I am ready to try to make Christ the center of my life and be guided by the Spirit. I know that because we all have grown up so differently and cannot always understand each other completely, I need the Spirit to guide me as I interact with my roommates and especially in conflict. I need the Spirit to guide me to serve my family, friends, and acquaintances in the ways that they need. I have no doubt that as I am beginning my life away from my family and slowly preparing to have a family of my own, I will need the Spirit to guide me through every step.

In the Divine-centered Leadership reading, something really stood out to me. I guess I had just never thought about it, but Jesus grew up like you and me. He needed to come down here to receive a body, set an example for each of us, and complete the Atonement, and therefore He has experienced all of our sorrows and pains and can relate to us. But Jesus Christ can relate to us in another powerful way. He came into this life with a divine purpose and destiny just like we did, and like we do, He had to discover that purpose for Himself. 
"Christ recognized this eternal perspective very early in His life. At age twelve He told his parents that He "must be about [His] Father's business" (Luke 2:49). Even if the rest of His divine mission was yet to unfold to Him, He knew of His divine origin and its significance and conducted Himself accordingly....Before Jesus Christ began his formal ministry, He spent time fasting and praying in the wilderness. Though scripture does not provide many details of what transpired during this forty-day solitude, it is reasonable to suggest that He was seeking for, listening to, and following divine guidance. Through reflection and introspection, He obtained more clearly the divine mission that would mark His mortal ministry."
We may not yet know exactly what our Heavenly Father has planned for us, but neither did our older brother Jesus Christ and we can follow His example to find out what it is. Still, it will be unfolded unto us on His timetable, not our own, so we can work to center our lives upon Jesus Christ and His gospel and seek to be a tool in His hands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment