Friday, December 3, 2010

leading change

In almost every situation in which a person openly chooses to follow a leader, it is because that leader promises change; change that will most likely relieve frustration and spur progression. As is obvious especially in political and more public arenas, this is much easier promised than done. That is largely because real and noticeable changes do come from within the individual, but unless the group in question is whole-heartedly unified, great results usually don't follow. To me, that is what is so intimidating about the prospect of the future. Everyone wants to change the world and do something different or better, but it is often not quite enough to act only as an individual. Often, the goal is actually to lead others in change and together make that impact. 


I enjoyed Sister Gray's lecture on leading change because I think it really did provide some helpful solutions to influence others to make positive changes. She reiterated that our goals need to be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely). What was even more helpful though was how she explained the required motivation and abilities required to promote personal, social, and environmental/structural changes by recognizing vital behaviors and identifying the crucial moments in which one can create positive deviance.


Lately in my apartment, I have really been struggling to cope with my roommates and certain situations and part of me wants to just leave and stop trying to deal with it since change seems so difficult. What I have realized is that even though I want change, I cannot be the only one to want it and that we all have to have similar abilities in order to succeed. I need to make the undesirable (namely cleaning) desirable really try to surpass the limits which I perceive them to have. I know that its a long shot, and I know it will be difficult, but I also know that this change will benefit everyone and I am willing to try.      



No comments:

Post a Comment